Keywords are an important factor in ranking on search engines and increasing traffic for your website.
When researching keywords, there are a few tricks to help you select the right keywords to achieve your goals.
1. Google Adwords Keyword Tool is a great way to research the volume of searches on specific keywords and phrases. By using Google Adwords, you can view the competition for keywords and it will provide alternative keywords related to the word you are researching.
2. If there is a lot of competition for a keyword, the possibility to making it to the top of search engines decreases. An alternative is to use a less competitive keyword or phrase to help target your market.
3. Don't stuff your site with keywords, but include variations of your keyword phrases throughout your site. Include your keyword and phrase in:
- HTML Title
- Text of the page
- Meta description
- Meta keywords
- ALT tags
- Comment tags
- URL name
4. Check Keyword Density on your page with a tool like Keyword Density Cloud. This will provide you with a visual on the Keyword Density on your webpage and help you determine if you need to restructure the page to highlight specific keywords.
Google considers more than 2% keyword density as spam; although, MSN and Yahoo allow 5% keyword density in a webpage. A 1% - 7% keyword density is what any web page should aim for.
5. Do not use "stop words" like "and" and "the" and common words such as "Internet."
6. Be careful choosing keywords. If your keywords don't relate to your site's content you risk being penalized for spam.
Selecting the right keywords and keyword phrases is one aspect of search engine optimization, but not the only factor. But this is a start to improving your website ranking and increasing traffic on your website.