Keywords are an important factor in ranking on search engines and increasing traffic for your website.
When researching keywords, there are a few tricks to help you select the right keywords to achieve your goals.
1. Google Adwords Keyword Planner is a great method to research the search volume and competition on specific keywords and phrases, and it will provide alternative keywords.
2. If competition is high for a keyword, the possibility to making it to the top of search engines decreases. An alternative is to use a less competitive keyword or phrase to help target your market.
3. Don't stuff your site with keywords, but include variations of your keyword phrases throughout your site. Include your keyword and phrase in:
- HTML Title
- Text of the page
- Meta description
- Meta keywords
- ALT tags
- Comment tags
- URL name
4. Check Keyword Density on your page with a tool like Page Keyword Density Analysis. This will provide a visual of the Keyword Density on your web page and help determine if you need to restructure the page to highlight specific keywords.
Keyword density for a page should be between 0.5 and 2.5%, roughly one keyword per 200 words of copy is considered a good benchmark.
5. Do not use "stop words" like "and" and "the" and common words such as "Internet."
6. Be careful choosing keywords. If your keywords don't relate to your site's content, you risk being penalized by Google.
Selecting the right keywords and keyword phrases is one aspect of search engine optimization, but not the only factor. This is a start to improving your website ranking and increasing traffic on your website.